Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Revamp

If you've been following along, you know two things:

1.) I suck at blogging regularly
2.) I wrote about life on the farm
Both of those are ch-ch-changing! I'm no longer a 40 hours before Thursday, resting on rainy days, eating whatever I want, dairy farmer anymore, I've become a grocery shopping, apartment living, running for exercise, paying bills, city gal. 

I'm officially #thatgirl in that awkward phase of life...well the one after middle school...you know, early twenties and half of your friends are getting married and having babies and the other half are still celebrating Thirsty Thursday.
  • I have to watch what I eat - college beer and pizza don't count as breakfast, lunch or supper anymore. Oh and Coldstone misses my loyalty points.
  • I pay for a gym membership - I've considered VOLUNTEERING to help throw small squares of straw just to get the workout I used to on the farm. 
  • I Run for fun - Not just when the cows get out

  • I work 40 hours a week (at a pretty shnazzy ag/food marketing agency) - not 40 before morning milking on Wednesday
  • I started cooking and baking, I was pretty spoiled with Ma and Grandma's cooking. Although, I'm getting pretty good at my their recipes! For evidence, refer back to point #2.

  • I get confused when I walk into a grocery store - yes, the farmer's daughter has to ask her best friend what head of lettuce to buy because the display is 20' long and it is completely overwhelming.
You know what's scary about that? I grew up living and breathing agriculture. Mom gardened, canned and cooked everything from scratch. Our meat (pork and beef) were raised at home, the chicken was raised and butchered by our neighbors and our milk was from the bulk tank freshly squeezed by yours truly. 

If I can't figure out which head of lettuce is healthiest, how to tell which avocado is ripe or decipher chocolate milk from imitation chocolate milk, then why do we expect the average customer to? Before I moved away from the farm, I didn't know diets were not just a fad, but the way people live! Whole30, Paleo and countless others control shopping habits. Diets aren't just for those that want to lose weight anymore. It's a constant battle of what's worse for you: fat or carbs. 

I'm not entirely sure where this blog is going to go, but I'm wondering if there is a different approach to connecting farmers and their customers; consumers and their farmers. What if instead of the farmers trying to tell their story, they listened to the consumer's? 


1 comment:

  1. Milk-- squeezed by yours truly.. lol love it!! ♡♡

    ReplyDelete